I was going to tac this on to the other post but I thought it needed it’s own post, because I think this is very important.
Sinkhole in Bayou Corne Louisiana, there is a very large sinkhole that opened up in the beginning of August in Bayou Corne, Louisiana, Bayou Corne is just North of Pierre Part, LA . To give you a better idea of where it is here is a map, the blue dot is where I am, the purple dot is the round about location of the sink hole.
- owned by a company named Texas Brine LLC,
- it is growing
- it is in or partly on a “brine” cave that is an area of land that salt from the sea or in this case the gulf has built up over millions of years.
- We also know that this salt or brine cave has been used in the past to store some “naturally occurring radioactive” waste, the readings for radium have been very high around the sinkhole, above the safety level.
- It has a horrible smell, I’ve heard it smells like a mixture of burnt diesel, and sulfur.
- Before the earth opened up and the sinkhole happened, people in the area were reporting they felt small earthquakes, a few days later the earth opened up.
- This is not the reason the sinkhole happened, it is thought that the earthquakes happened as a result of the sinkhole, not the other way around.
- There is an area not far from the sinkhole, about 1500 feet from it there is another salt cave, in this cave another company has 1.5 million gallons of liquid butane stored, they have another cave that has liquid propane stored in it.
- On Aug, 21, Louisiana Environmental Action Network (LEAN) noted that the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality (LA DEQ) had been monitoring the air in the areas around the sinkhole, detecting known-carcinogen benzene, as well as toluene, ethylbenzene, and other volatile organic compounds as well as components of natural gas.
OK I think that is all we do know about the sinkhole, what we don’t know is more interesting! Many of the people are angry at the company and the government, they had a town hall meeting and nobody from the government showed up!
A petition: Immediately appoint a federal team to assume control / management of the sinkhole disaster in Bayou Corne, LA. You can sign it here: Petition Even tho I usually don’t sign online petitions, I don’t think that ever works, but it can’t hurt, I think more people need to be aware of the sinkhole and the federal government needs to get involved.
My kids are begging to go outside will be back later!